Thursday 8 November 2012

Analysis of front covers of magazines for my chosen genre:metal/rock

Previously I have studied and analysed the form of magazine front covers, contents pages and double page sprerad articles. Through this research I have gained a clearer knowledge on how my magazine should be layed out and what vital codes and conventins are neded. Following this research I have now began to research my chosen genre within magazines. My chosen genre is metal rock therefore I have researched magazines that cater to this theme such as kerrang, the big cheese and rock sound, these are three wel known and established metal rock magazines. I have annotated three front covers of metal rock magazines to gain a greater knowledge of what is need for the genre to be clear. Through analysing three front covers I have discovered the common codes and conventions of the front cover page of a metal/rock magazine that are vital to create an effective, eye catching, loud, rocky, scary and proffessional looking front cover. The clear social group for this magazine is gothic/emo/rocky people and those interested in rock/metal music however hopefully it will engage those who dont generally listen to this genre of music. The age group is clearly 15+ as swear words are used on some of these front covers and the look of them may be too overpowering for the younger generation. With this research that I have currently just conducted I feel as though I am capable of creating a front cover for a metal/rock magazine as the codes and conventions are clear and i am fimiliar with them as I read these magazines on a weekly basis.

http://prezi.com/u9qkknxb2zdg/analysis-of-a-magazine-front-cover-for-my-particular-genrerock/

http://prezi.com/lzexuvylsvi4/analysis-of-a-front-cover-for-my-particular-genrerock/

http://prezi.com/khlf920w0dyt/analysis-of-magazine-front-covers-on-a-particular-genrerock/


After conducting this research through analysis of the codes and convention of magazine frotn covers of my chosen genre of metal/rock  it is visibly clear that in order for my front cover to effectivley reflect the genre very clearly to an audience, to look professional, be eye catching and clearly cater to the chsoen social group (gothic/emo/rocky) I need to stick to the following in my final Front Cover: There eneds to be a clear key image that is the main focus point of the front cocver within this key image the mise-en-scene needs to reflect the genre of metal/rock(tattoos, long hair, piercings, serious faces.) It is effective if there are plugs that make the engage the audience such as 'top 20 songs of the year,' gaze theory is commonly used and has appeared to be effective as an attractive iconic figure would attract an audience. The use of colour schemes make the page look attractive and creates consistency(use colours that are bright with a black outline as these mix of colours refletc genre:loud and dark) and finally the masthead needs to be unique and act as the trademarked font for the magazine so whenever they see that particular typeface people will immediatley think of  my magazine.  If I incorporate these codes and conventions needed to relfect metal/rock genre on a magazine front page then I will create a presentable, 'in your face', rocky professional front covercover that will be successful and be according to the veiwers prefered reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment