Thursday 8 November 2012

Analysis of the codes and conventions on the form of a contents page magazine

 have studied and analysed three Contents Pages of magazines, two of which were fashion magazines and one being a sports themed magazine. Through analysing three Contents pages I have discovered the common codes and conventions of a contents page of a magazine that are needed to create a proffessional, presentable, clear navigation and attractive contents page that would be acceptable to be sold in a shop. I have presented this research to  ge a greater understanding of the codes and conventions fot he form of a magazine so that I can apply these elements to the product that I will be producing, a music magazine. Previously in my preliminary task I studied and analysed contents pages of fashion and music magazines just like the following ones, however I have not incorporated these as they follow almost the exact codes and conventions. However by analysing these previously it has helped me understand that each magazine follows some form of template so that the form is recognisable and stands out.  With this research that I have currently just completed, along with the research that I have conducted during the preliminary task, I feel as though I have broadened my knowledge of the form of a contents page and now have a greater understanding of the codes and conventions of a contents page of a magazine and will be certain to add them to my final peice in order to make it as successful as the professional ones.
 Analysis 1

Analysis 2
Analysis 3



After conducting this research through analysis of the form of magazine contents pages it is visibly clear that in order for my contents page to look professional, be eye catching and connect with the well with the audience, I need to stick to the following in my final Contents Page: Preferably shape the text into an 'L' as this helps to keep text neatly wrapped around the image together yet still spread out, it also brings shaping into my final peice which looks attractive. Use a large key image that will stand out and act as the highlight story of the magazine, picture needs to be eyecatching but preferably make sure the background of the image is simple so the attention is focused on the key image as it is the focus point. However just because there is a key image doesnt mean that other smaller images can be used, shape the images into circles, squares etc to make the page fun and reflect the target audience.  Along with this I need to keep to a set margin so when the pages are put together, the text is still visible for the reader, although it is used for that purpose it will also help to keep all of the coverlines, subheadings and lures in line. Effectivley the words contents don't have to be used as it is a dull masthead, try and be unique by either saying 'in this issue off...' or 'this month in...' as this shows versatility within mastheads. Lastly whenever the name of the magazine is stated keep to the trademarked font as it will remind the reader of what they're reading and helps to plublicise the magazine so whenever they see that font on anything they will immediatley think of your magazine.  If I incorporate these codes and conventions of the form of a contents page in a magazine then I will create a presentable and professional contents page that will be successful and be according to the veiwers prefered reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment