Thursday 8 November 2012

Analysis of contents page of magazines for my chosen genre:metal/rock

Following the research of front pages with my genre of metal/rock i have moved onto analysing contents pages with the same genre. The magazines I have incoorpporated into this to research are kerran, Rock Sound and hammer. Two of which I have already analysed for my front covers however I like the layout and style to the front covers so i wanted to explore the rest of it to see if it continueed to please me as that is the main aim of a magazine. I have annotated three contents pages of metal rock magazines to obtain a greater knowledge of what is needed for the genre to be clear and effective. Through analysing three contents pages I have discovered the common codes and conventions needed to make my magazine cater to particular social groups(emo, gothic, grunge) through text, images etc.  I intend tomake my magazine intimidating, loud, contrasting with colours, eye catching and proffessional looking.  The age group is clearly 15-30s as this music would be too overpowering in sound and language for the younger generations and similarly with the older yet it would not be the type of music they have had previous experience with. With this research that I have currently just conducted I feel as though I am capable of creating a contents page for a metal/rock magazine as the codes and conventions are clear as they are very similar to the front pages which I have analysed alot of through form, genre and my prelim task. 


http://prezi.com/nbhfetwa7syl/analysis-of-magazine-contents-pages-on-my-particular-genremetalrock/

http://prezi.com/ocds-un_jllq/analysis-of-contents-pages-on-my-particular-genremetalrock/

http://prezi.com/vbtcv0jbiilk/analysis-of-a-contents-page-for-my-particulargenre-metalrock/


After conducting this research through analysis of the codes and convention of magazine contents pages of my chosen genre of metal/rock it is visibly clear that in order for my contents page to effectivley reflect the genre to an audience it needs: to look professional, be very 'in your face', intimidating, harsh and dark.Therefore I need to stick to the following in my final contents page: Stick to a colour scheme that stands out and contrasts however effectivley keep it consistent with the front page colour scheme. The use of a drop cap is effective as it dominates the rest of the copy like the music is dominating in sound. An editors message is very common throughout all genre of magazines as it gives the editor some lime light not just the bands and it also helps to praise the issue and give the reader an insight into the issue. Mise-en-scene is very important on the key image it is the most vital part of the contents page that informs the reader of the genre therefore my images need to have long hair, contain action, tattoos and piercings as they reflect metal/rock.  Finally It is effective if there are plugs that engage the audience such as 'top 20 2010 hits' these make the magazine fun and plugs can be scattered around the page filling up blank space effectivley in shapes or graphics to make it more appealing.It is fundimentally important that  I incorporate these codes and conventions  as they relfect a metal/rock genre therefore people will know if its to there preferred reading and it will imeidatly cater to those in the same social groups that these band would be associated with.

No comments:

Post a Comment